1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes (3 – 4 medium)
1 cup water
½ cup quick-cooking oats
3 tablespoons salted butter
½ cup warm water (110°F – 115°F)
2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
⅓ cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cups King Arthur® White Whole Wheat Flour
1 ¾ cups King Arthur® Unbleached Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ cup milled flax seed
1 large egg plus 1 tablespoon water
Coarse kosher salt
- Cook, drain well, and mash sweet potatoes. Set aside to cool.
- In saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add oats and butter; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; let cool to lukewarm. Stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Wait 5 – 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine oats, sweet potatoes, and brown sugar. Stir in salt, turmeric, rosemary, garlic, white whole wheat flour, bread flour, milled flax seed, and yeast mixture.
- Exchange paddle for dough hook and knead on medium speed 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough may seem wet, but avoid adding more flour. Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray or line with parchment. Deflate dough; divide into 24 equal pieces. To shape a rosette: roll each piece into 12″ rope. Tie loose knot in center of each rope. Wrap the left end up and over the loop. Wrap the right end down and around the loop. Press the two ends together to secure. Shape into a rounded roll. Place 2″ apart on baking sheets. Cover; let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F. If desired, in small bowl, beat together egg and water; brush on rolls. Sprinkle with a scant pinch of salt. Bake 15 – 18 minutes, until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted registers 190°F – 200°F.
Per Serving (1 ROLL, 58g):
130 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2.5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 3g protein, 19mcg folate, 2mg vitamin C, 13mg calcium, 1mg iron.