1 cup sour cream
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 packages active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (100° – 110°F)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon peel
2 large eggs
4 – 4 ½ cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (not light cream cheese)
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 ½ cups sweetened dried cranberries
2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon lemon extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 – 3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
Sweetened dried cranberries and sliced almonds (optional)
- In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine sour cream, sugar, salt, and butter. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is warmed and butter is melted. Remove from heat and let cool to 105°F.
- In the meantime, combine yeast and warm water in a small bowl. Stir until dissolved and set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, add cooled (105°F) sour cream mixture. Stir in yeast mixture. On low speed add lemon peel and eggs, one at a time. Add 4 cups flour and cinnamon; mix 2 minutes on low speed. Cover bowl; refrigerate dough overnight or at least 12 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. To prepare filling, beat cream cheese, lemon juice, sugar, egg, salt, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Divide dough into 4 portions. On lightly-floured surface, roll out each portion into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle in half lengthwise.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over rectangles, leaving ½ inch on edges free of mixture for ease in sealing edges. Sprinkle cranberries and crystallized ginger over each rectangle. Starting with 12-inch side, roll up (jelly-roll fashion) tightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Twist two rolls together. Pinch ends; turn under and pinch to seal. Place two Danish on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Immediately bake Danish 14 to 17 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Repeat for remaining Danish.
- While Danish is cooling on rack for 15 minutes, prepare glaze. In small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, butter, lemon extract, salt, and milk; beat until smooth. Place a dollop of glaze on each warm Danish and spread with a small spatula. If desired, garnish with dried cranberries and almonds. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 4 Danishes, 8 servings each.
One slice provides approximately 245 calories; 4 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 11 g fat (7 g saturated); 52 mg cholesterol; 32 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 161 mg sodium.