2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Quick·Rise™ Yeast
3 tablespoons (1 ounce) warm water (110°-115°F)
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) maple syrup
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
½ cup (4 ounces) silken tofu
4 large eggs
2 cups (6 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda or smoked Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ½ to 5 cups (19 to 22 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
1 cup (5 ounces) sweetened dried cranberries
- In small bowl, whisk together yeast, water, and maple syrup. Wait 5 to 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, blend together butter and tofu until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in cheese, salt, pepper, yeast mixture, and 4 cups of flour; blend well. Exchange paddle for dough hook.
- Mix in cranberries and gradually add enough remaining flour until a soft dough forms. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes on low to medium speed. Place dough in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Deflate dough and divide in half. Shape into 6” to 7”round loaves, and place into two buttered 9”round cake pans. Cover; let dough rise until doubled, 40 to 45 minutes. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 400°F. Uncover and with a sharp knife or lame, make a ¼”deep “X” slash across the top of each loaf.
- Bake 25 – 27 minutes until golden brown, tenting with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of the loaf should register about 200°F. Remove from oven, and after a few minutes turn loaves out onto a rack to cool.
2 loaves, 22 servings each.
Per Serving (1 slice, 35g):
120 calories, 6g fat, 0g fiber, 3.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 13g carbohydrates, 32mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 4g protein, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 36mg calcium.