2 teaspoons dried minced onion
½ teaspoon ready-to-use minced garlic
3 tablespoons (1 ¼ ounces) light olive oil
2-ounce wedge Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, cut into a few pieces
2 to 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 ½ cups (11 ounces) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, divided
2 to 2 ½ cups (10 to 12 ½ ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Platinum® Yeast
¼ cup (1 ½ ounces) dry steel cut oats
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons coarsely cracked multi-colored peppercorns
2 tablespoons (1 ¼ ounces) granulated sugar
¼ cup (1 ¼ ounces) dry buttermilk powder
1 ¼ cups (10 ounces) water
1 large egg
1 cup (1 ¾ ounces) firmly packed fresh baby spinach leaves, stems removed and coarsely chopped
½ tablespoon (¼ ounce) unsalted butter, melted
- Combine onion, garlic, and olive oil in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pulse cheese in food processor until finely chopped (will be about ½ cup) and remove. Finely chop enough carrots in food processor to measure 1 cup (4 ½ ounces) and reserve.
- In a stand mixer bowl fitted with paddle, mix together 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour, 1 cup bread flour, yeast, oats, salt, pepper, sugar, and buttermilk powder.
- Heat water to 120° to 130°F and pour over the dry ingredients; blend on low speed for 2 minutes. Mix in egg, spinach, olive oil mixture, cheese, and carrots. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining white whole wheat flour and enough bread flour to form a soft dough. Remove paddle, cover dough with plastic wrap, and let it rest 15 minutes. Knead dough with hook until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Transfer dough to a greased bowl; cover, and allow the dough to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Lightly grease two 9” x 5” loaf pans. Deflate the dough and divide into half. Shape into loaves by rolling each piece of dough into a 14” x 7” rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in pans, seam-side down; cover with plastic wrap, and let rise 45 to 60 minutes. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using a sharp knife or lame, cut three diagonal slashes, ¼” deep, in each loaf. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted near the center of the loaf registers about 200°F. Remove loaves from oven. Brush with melted butter and after 5 minutes turn out onto a rack to cool.
2 loaves, 16 servings each.
Per Serving (1 slice, 59g): 120 calories, 3g fat, 3g fiber, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20g carbohydrates, 10mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 5g protein, 2mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 59mg calcium.