1 (¼ ounce) package active dry yeast
¼ cup warm water (100° – 110°F)
½ cup soft silken tofu, well drained, room temperature
2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 large egg
¼ cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ cup King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour
1 ½ -1 ¾ cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ready-to-serve minced garlic
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dry minced onion
3 cups water
3 tablespoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
½ teaspoon coarse salt or pretzel salt, optional
- In measuring cup, sprinkle yeast in warm water; stir until dissolved. Set aside 10 minutes.
- In large mixer bowl, beat tofu until smooth; beat in corn syrup. Mix in yeast mixture; beat in egg and cheese. Stir in whole wheat flour and ½ cup bread flour; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Beat in dry mustard, garlic, salt and onion. Gradually mix in enough remaining bread flour to make soft dough. Knead 4 to 5 minutes with dough hook. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball; lightly flatten tops until about 2 inches wide.
- Place on greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. With scissors, make about six ½-inch deep cuts around the edge of each bun. Cover; let rise in warm place about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large saucepan, bring 3 cups water and baking soda to a boil. Using a slotted spoon or two spatulas, gently place one bun at a time in water. Spoon water over the top of buns. Drain buns well; return to greased baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with poppy seeds and salt.
- Bake 13 to 16 minutes until rich golden brown. Transfer to cooling rack. Slice buns and use for mini slider sandwiches.
Makes 12 buns.
One bun provides approximately 128 calories; 5 g protein; 22 g carbohydrates; 1 g dietary fiber; 2 g fat (1 g saturated); 20 mg cholesterol; 37 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 128 mg sodium.