⅓ cup warm water (100° – 110°F)
1 (¼ ounce) package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1 ½ cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour plus extra for rolling dough
½ cup King Arthur Medium Rye Flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
⅓ cup water, room temperature (80°F)
2 – 4 tablespoons minced dried onion
1 large egg white, beaten
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place kneading blade in 8-cup food processor bowl. Add 1/3 cup warm water, yeast and honey; pulse a few times. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add all-purpose flour, rye flour, olive oil, salt, water and onion. Pulse 3 to 4 times to mix; process 1 minute. Dough should form a ball around the blade. If additional water or flour is needed, add by the tablespoon.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place 45 minutes.
- Arrange oven racks at the top and bottom. Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide dough into four equal balls. Working with one ball at a time, roll dough into a 12 to 13-inch circle. Place on a 16 x 14 – inch piece of parchment paper; roll out the remaining dough, placing each on sheets of parchment paper. Dust any remaining flour off dough with pastry brush, otherwise, the surface will become gummy when you brush on the egg white and reduce the crispiness.
- Allow dough to rest 5 minutes. Brush egg white on dough; sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Slide one parchment sheet onto a 16 x 14- inch baking sheet, and repeat with a second baking sheet and another bread portion on parchment. Place one baking sheet on top rack, the other baking sheet on bottom rack; bake 4 to 5 minutes, then reverse sheets top to bottom for another 4 to 5 minutes. Dough should puff up in places and turn golden. Remove breads from parchment paper and place on cooling rack. Repeat with remaining two pieces of dough. Note: The last two breads usually bake faster, as the sheets are now hot, so watch carefully. Break into pieces to serve or place in an airtight container to store.
Makes 4 (12 to 13-inch) cracker breads, 8 servings each.
TEST KITCHEN NOTE
To prepare dough without food processor: In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except egg white and Parmesan cheese. Knead dough by hand or with dough hook 4 to 5 minutes. Continue with Step 3.
One serving provides approximately 37 calories; 1 g protein; 6 g carbohydrates; .45 g dietary fiber; 1 g fat (0 g saturated); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 mcg folate; .33 mg iron and 85 mg sodium.