2 ½ cups King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour, divided
1 – 1 ½ cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
¼ cup nonfat dry milk
1 ½ tablespoons active dry yeast
1 cup water
¼ cup grapeseed oil or canola oil
¼ cup light agave nectar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
1 – 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
2 ½ tablespoons chia seeds, divided
Egg Wash: 1 large egg plus 1 tablespoon water, beaten
- In large mixer bowl, with paddle attachment, add ½ cup whole wheat flour, ½ cup all-purpose flour, dry milk and yeast. Mix 30 seconds to combine ingredients.
- In microwaveable bowl, heat water, oil and agave syrup to 120° to 130°F. Pour liquid into flour-yeast mixture, and beat on low speed 1 minute. Scrape bowl; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Mix in 2 eggs, salt, onion and garlic powder; beat on low speed 1 minute. Add remaining 2 cups whole wheat flour, ¼ cup at a time. Using dough hook, add enough of the remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour to form a slightly sticky dough.
- Knead with dough hook 6 minutes on medium speed. Add wheat germ and 1 tablespoon chia seeds; continue kneading 2 minutes.
- Place dough in large, oiled bowl, turn to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 ½ hours. Lightly oil 18 standard-size, 2 ½ x 1 ¼-inch muffin cups.
- Punch down dough; divide into 18 equal pieces. Shape into a smooth ball, and place in muffin cup. Cover; let rise until almost double, about 30 minutes. Carefully brush with egg wash and sprinkle remaining chia seeds on top.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown. Place rolls on cooling rack. Serve warm.
Makes 18 rolls.
One roll provides approximately 163 calories; 6 g protein; 25 g carbohydrates; 3 g dietary fiber; 5 g fat (1 g saturated); 31 mg cholesterol; 52 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 213 mg sodium.