1 ⅛ cups lukewarm water (110°F-115°F)
1 cup 7 grain hot cereal mix
1½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 ½ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 (¼-ounce) package active dry yeast
EGG WASH and GARNISH
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
7 grain hot cereal mix
- Place lukewarm water in bread machine pan with cereal. Allow cereal to soften 15 – 20 minutes while assembling other ingredients.
- Add salt, oil, brown sugar, flour and yeast to bread machine pan. Program machine on DOUGH cycle. Open the machine’s lid to test the consistency of the dough; do this after 3 – 5 minutes into the first knead cycle. The dough should be a soft, tacky ball. If the dough is too dry, add water ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time. If dough is too wet, add 1 tablespoon flour at a time. Do this while the machine is kneading.
- When the dough cycle is completed, remove the dough from pan and form into a ball. Cover; allow to rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each piece of dough on the counter into a rope ½” – ¾” in diameter and 8 – 9 inches long. Form into a loose knot with one end coming up through the center of the knot and the other end tucked underneath.
- Place rolls on a 12 x 18 x 1-inch half sheet pan, either greased, parchment-lined or on a silicon baking mat. Cover rolls loosely and allow to rise until doubled, 45 – 60 minutes. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds or 7 grain cereal.
- Bake 15 – 18 minutes or until golden brown and internal temperature registers 190°F – 195°F. Cool slightly on a rack and serve warm.
Makes 12 rolls.
NOTE FROM SUSAN
I use Bob’s Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal with Flaxseed, but other similar hot cereal mixes could also work in this recipe.
TEST KITCHEN NOTE
Recipe was tested in a Cuisinart Bread Machine with a 1 hour and 40 minute dough cycle.
PER SERVING (1 ROLL, 72g): 190 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 31g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 2g total sugars, 5g protein, 0mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron.