1 cup King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat Flour
3 – 3 ¼ cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
1 (¼ ounce) package rapid rise yeast
1 ¾ cups water
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon finely minced green jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon finely minced red jalapeño pepper
1 ¾ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, room temperature, divided
¾ cup grated Asiago cheese, room temperature, divided
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- In bowl of mixer, combine whole wheat flour, 2 1/2 cups bread flour, and yeast.
- Heat water and olive oil to 120º to 130ºF. Add to bowl mixture; beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add salt, green and red jalapeño peppers, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese and enough of the remaining bread flour to make moderately soft dough.
- Knead dough by hand or with dough hook 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cover dough in bowl, let rest 10 minutes (replaces first rise in 2-rise recipes).
- Divide dough into 16 equal balls. Flatten balls with rolling pin to 4 inches in diameter. Place on baking sheets that have been dusted with cornmeal. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Brush bun tops with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining Cheddar cheese and Asiago cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove buns from pan. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 16 buns.
TEST KITCHEN NOTE
Wear plastic gloves to handle peppers. Use a mini food processor to finely chop jalapeWear plastic gloves to handle peppers. Use a mini food processor to finely chop jalapeno peppers. o peppers.
One bun provides approximately 376 calories; 13 g protein; 55 g carbohydrate; 3 g dietary fiber; 10 g fat (4 g saturated); 27 mg cholesterol; 138 mcg folate; 3 mg iron and 360 mg sodium.