2 ¼ cups (18 ounces) warm water (110°-115°F)
2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
2 ¼ cups (18 ounces) warm unsweetened coconut milk (110°-115°F)
⅔ cup (4 ½ ounce) firmly packed light brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
⅓ cup (4 ½ ounces) honey
1 tablespoon (½ ounce) coconut flavoring or extract
4 ¾ cups (21 ounces) King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
1 ½ tablespoons (¾ ounce) salt
4 ½ to 4 ¾ cups (19 to 20 ¼ ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 cup (4 ½ ounces) coarsely chopped almonds
1 cup (3 ½ ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons (¾ ounce) coarsely chopped almonds
3 tablespoons (¾ ounce) sweetened shredded coconut
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, stir together water, yeast, and coconut milk. Wait 5 to 10 minutes for mixture to foam (proof). Add brown sugar, butter, honey, and coconut flavoring; mix 2 minutes.
- Stir in whole wheat flour, salt, and enough bread flour to make a soft dough; mix 3 minutes and scrape bowl.
- Replace the paddle with the dough hook and knead on medium-low speed for 8 minutes, kneading in almonds and coconut. Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Spray three 8 ½” x 4 ½” loaf pans with no-stick coconut oil cooking spray. Gently deflate dough, and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Divide dough into thirds. Shape into loaves by rolling each into a 14” x 7” rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal.
- Place in pans and cover with lightly sprayed plastic wrap and allow to rise 30 to 40 minutes. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together egg and water and lightly brush each loaf with egg wash. Combine almonds and coconut; sprinkle on top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Tent with aluminum foil after 25 minutes to prevent over-browning. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of loaf should register about 200°F. Remove loaves from oven, and after 5 minutes turn out onto a rack to cool.
3 loaves, 16 servings each.
Per Serving (1 slice, 62g):
180 calories, 7g fat, 2g fiber, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 25g carbohydrates, 10mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 4g protein, 0mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 19mg calcium.