2 packages active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (100° – 110° F)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
½ cup lemonade concentrate, room temperature*
5 – 5 ¼ cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon lemonade concentrate, for egg wash
Cranberry Lemonade Filling
2 cups sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
½ cup lemonade concentrate
¼ cup 100% cranberry juice
Lemonade Cream Filling
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons lemonade concentrate
1 tablespoon salted butter, softened
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Creamy Lemonade Glaze
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
¼ cup (½ stick) salted butter, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
3 – 4 tablespoons lemonade concentrate
*Note: 1 (12-ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed, is needed for recipe
- Whisk the yeast into the water. Add 2 teaspoons sugar and let rest until the yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- In mixer bowl fitted with a paddle, beat butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stir in eggs, milk, and room temperature lemonade concentrate; mix until well blended. Stir in yeast mixture.
- In medium bowl, combine flour and cardamom. Gradually add 4 cups to the butter/yeast mixture; beat at low speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Gradually add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead dough by hand or with dough hook 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 2 hours.
- To prepare Cranberry Lemonade Filling, combine cranberries, lemonade concentrate, and cranberry juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer until thick, stirring occasionally until all liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and cool.
- To prepare Lemonade Cream Filling, combine cream cheese, lemonade concentrate, butter, and sugar in mixer bowl. Blend until smooth and creamy; chill.
- Punch dough down. Divide the dough in half and shape one piece into a 12 x 11-inch rectangle. Spread half the Lemonade Cream Filling to within ½-inch of each side. Spoon half the Cranberry Lemonade Filling and half of the almonds on top. Starting with 11-inch side, roll up as for jelly-roll; seal edges and ends. Cut roll into 6 even slices. (Tip: using an electric knife does not flatten the rolls.) Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Place rolls on two greased or parchment paper lined 15 x 10-inch cookie sheets. Cover; let rise until double, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon lemonade concentrate. Brush over rolls.
- Bake in preheated 350° F oven 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets to wire rack. In small bowl, blend Creamy Lemonade Glaze ingredients until smooth. Spoon glaze over warm rolls.
Makes 12 rolls.
One roll provides approximately 657 calories; 11 g protein; 109 g carbohydrate; 3 g dietary fiber; 22 g fat (11 g saturated); 102 mg cholesterol; 101 mcg folate; 4 mg iron and 385 mg sodium.