1 large egg
Approximately 2 cups water (80°F)
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) salted butter
5 tablespoons (2 ½ ounces) granulated sugar
¼ cup (1 ounce) nonfat dry milk
1 cup (3 ½ ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup (4 ounces) King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
2 ½ to 3 cups (10 ½ to 13 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 ½ teaspoons RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) melted salted butter, divided
1 (3.56-ounce) box dark chocolate instant pudding dry mix, divided
1 tablespoon (½ ounce) melted salted butter; for brushing on loaves
- Break egg into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup and fill to the 2-cup line with water. Place dough ingredients into bread machine pan and set on DOUGH cycle. Add additional water or flour as needed to form a soft dough.
- Lightly spray two 8” or 9” round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, deflate it, and divide in half. Cover one half until ready to shape.
- Roll other half into a 12” x 12” square. Brush 3 tablespoons melted butter, covering the entire dough, and sprinkle with half of the dry pudding mix, about 4 ½ tablespoons.
- Tightly roll dough into a log, jellyroll style, and pinch seam together to seal. Place log seam-side down and lightly pat to 12”.
- Using kitchen shears, cut log lengthwise down the center, cutting completely through the log, stopping 1” from the end. Twist pieces together keeping cut edges up. Position twist in the pan (like a wreath) snipping the final 1” of dough. Twist, tuck and pinch dough to make ends meet. Repeat with other half. Cover loaves with plastic wrap and let rise 40 to 50 minutes, until almost doubled. Near the end of the rise, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes. If needed, tent bread with aluminum foil during the last part of baking to prevent over-browning. The bread is done when it’s golden brown, and an instant-read thermometer inserted registers about 200°F. Remove loaves from oven and after a few minutes, turn out onto a rack and brush with melted butter.
2 loaves, 16 servings each.
Per Serving (1 slice, 46g):
120 calories, 4g fat, 1g fiber, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 19g carbohydrates, 15mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 3g protein, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 15mg calcium.