3 ¾ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour plus 2 tablespoons, divided
1 (¼-ounce) package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning rub (sweet & smoky)
1 ¼ cups unsweetened almond milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon dry minced onion
¼ cup smoked almonds, finely chopped
BARBECUE CHEESE FILLING
1 (8-ounce) container Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread, divided
¼ cup dry minced onion
1 tablespoon beaten egg (reserve remaining egg for topping)
2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning rub (sweet & smoky)*
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
2/3 cup (2 ounces) grated Pepper Jack cheese
1 teaspoon water
Remaining egg from filling
1/3 cup smoked almonds, chopped
5 ounces processed cheese, such as original Velveeta®
Remaining Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
1 ½ tablespoons chopped smoked almonds
Barbecue seasoning rub (sweet & smoky), as desired
- For dough: In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine 1¾ cups bread flour, dry yeast, brown sugar and barbecue seasoning.
- Heat almond milk and butter to 120°F – 130°F. Pour into mixer bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg, onion and almonds; beat 2 minutes. Slowly add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes. Scrape down dough. Exchange paddle attachment for dough hook. Gradually beat in enough remaining flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, about 5 minutes. (Reserve 1 tablespoon flour for rolling dough.) Place in greased bowl, turn dough to coat both sides. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 60 minutes. Then prepare the filling.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, combine ¾ cup cream cheese spread, minced onion, 1 tablespoon egg, barbecue seasoning and almond milk. Cover and set aside.
- Deflate dough; place on lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll one portion of dough into a 13” circle on pastry mat. Move to a parchment-lined 15” round pizza pan. Place a 3” round cup in the center of dough. Spread filling over the dough up to the cup, leaving ½” border around edge. Sprinkle grated cheese over the cream cheese. Add 1 teaspoon water to reserved egg. Lightly brush egg wash around the outer edge of dough; remove the cup.
- Roll the second portion of dough into a 13”circle and place over filling. Lightly press edges to seal. Place cup in center; mark 20 equal segments around the circle. Cut 20 strips with a knife or scissors from the edge to the cup. Twist each strip twice, laying the strip end flat onto the pan; remove cup.
- Lightly cover with plastic wrap; place in warm place to rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Remove plastic wrap; brush dough with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle almonds over dough, avoiding center circle.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden and internal temperature is about 200°F – 204°F. Rotate pan halfway through baking. Remove bread from oven; indent the center crust with a heat-proof cup. Let cool on pan 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Remove parchment paper and finish cooling on rack. Move to large serving platter.
- For cheese dip: Before serving, place processed cheese and remaining cream cheese in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on half power until cheese melts, about 1½ minutes; stir until smooth. Spoon hot melted cheese into indented center of bread; sprinkle with remaining chopped almonds and lightly sprinkle with barbecue seasoning. Before serving, use kitchen shears to cut the 20 bread twists apart. Store any leftover bread in the refrigerator.
Makes 20 twists.
NOTE FROM GLORIA
* I use the Kansas City Inspired Seasoning Rub (Sweet & Smoky) Private Selection brand. Bread can be warmed in the oven before serving and then filled with the processed cheese spread after removing from oven.
PER SERVING (1 TWIST, 79g) without cheese dip: 220 calories, 11g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 2g total sugars, 7g protein, 6mcg folate, 1mg vitamin C, 0mg iron.