3 tablespoons warm water (100⁰ to 110⁰F)
1 (¼ ounce) package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 large lime or 2 medium limes
4 – 4 ½ cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, divided
1 ½ tablespoons vital wheat gluten, optional
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
¾ cup 2% milk (100⁰ to 110⁰F)
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup sugar
3 large eggs, beaten, room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg and 2 teaspoons water, beaten
- In bowl of mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, combine 3 tablespoon warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate 2 teaspoons lime peel. Cut limes in half horizontally and place cut sides down in a small skillet. Heat skillet over medium high heat until limes are slightly charred on cut side. Remove from heat and let cool. Squeeze ¼ cup juice from limes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk 4 cups flour, wheat gluten, salt, lime peel, and ginger together.
- To yeast, stir in milk, vanilla, ¼ cup lime juice, ½ cup sugar, 3 eggs, lime flour mixture, and butter; mix 2 minutes on low speed.
- Replace paddle with dough hook and mix at low speed; gradually add enough of the remaining flour until a slightly sticky dough forms.
- Knead 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in large greased bowl turning to coat.
- Cover; let rise until double, about 1 to 1 ½ hours. KWC Test Kitchen Tip: Boil 1 cup water in microwave, place covered bowl of dough in microwave for a warm environment to rise.
- Line two 13 x 18-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide dough into 18 equal pieces; cover let rest 10 minutes. Shape each piece into a smooth roll and place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 375⁰F. Beat together egg and water. Cut a 1 inch (1/4-inch deep) “X” in top of each roll. Brush rolls with egg wash and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 18 rolls.
One roll provides approximately 297 calories; 7 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 5 g dietary fiber; 15 g fat (9 g saturated); 76 mg cholesterol; 6 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 218 mg sodium.