1 ½ cups warm water (100°F-110°F)
2 (¼ ounce) packages Active Dry Yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup finely chopped, peeled apples*
1 cup mashed, ripe bananas
1 cup finely chopped carrots
½ cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel
2 teaspoons salt
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup honey
½ cup ground golden or brown flax seed
3 ½ cups King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- In electric mixer bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes to proof yeast.
- Stir in rest of ingredients. Using dough hook knead 5 to 8 minutes on low speed. If dough does not form a ball around the dough hook, add 1 or 2 tablespoons additional flour.
- Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until double. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up as for jelly-roll; seal edges and ends.
- Place in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaf pans. Cover, let rise in warm place until double.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and internal temperature registers 200°F – 205°F. Remove loaves from pans and transfer to wire rack to cool.
- If desired, brush with butter.
Makes 3 small loaves, 12 slices each.
TEST KITCHEN NOTE
*Marjorie recommends selecting a good cooking apple like Granny Smith, Jonathan, or Honey Crisp.
Recipe Variation: For a lighter whole grain bread use 3½ cups white whole wheat flour, 3 cups bread flour, 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten, and 2 (¼ ounce) packages RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®.
One slice provides approximately 122 calories; 4 g protein; 22 g carbohydrate; 3 g dietary fiber; 2 g fat (.12 g saturated); .13 mg cholesterol; 18 mcg folate; 1 mg iron and 139 mg sodium.